Monday, April 9, 2007

Battle of the Sexist



I had stuff to do this weekend: I was supposed to work on a resume, follow up some summer jobs, take a shower...instead I spent a good portion of this holiday weekend watching a season and a half of a TV series on DVD.

I don't follow HBO shows very closely; first of all I don't have HBO, and secondly they tend to charge about $80 for a season of like 6 episodes on DVD. I followed Sopranos for the first couple seasons, but then it got too complicated what with 18 month breaks between seasons and 3 people getting whacked every week.

After hearing a lot about the show Entourage for the last couple of years, I decided to check out an episode online. Before I know it I have a half-eaten large pizza in front of me and a stack of recipes from Hollywood video.

I have heard several people refer to Entourage as Sex and the City for guys, and couldn't agree more. Let us examine the similarities between the two:

-Protagonists are professionals who are trying to make a name for themselves with varying setbacks and accomplishments? CHECK
-Protagonists have a posse of friends/leeches who seem to be with them at every second of their lifes and the group functions almost as a single organism? CHECK
-Shows revolve largely around the plots of sex and relationships, casual or otherwise? CHECK.

Okay, so the shows do differ in subject matter and style some, but both are examples of series that, in my opinion, are clearly tailored to a specific gender audience. I know, I know, there are a lot of females who watch Entourage and some guys who will admit to liking Sex and the City, but it is undeniable that attitudes towards the opposite sex in both shows are very biased, and focus on issues affecting their own genders.

To call either show sexist would be a little bit extreme. It is TV, HBO for that matter, and they like to ride the line between offensive and brilliant. Here's another poll just for the hell of it to see if you guys agree with me.


As I'm sure most of you know, Sex in the City has been off the air for a couple of years, but is available in just adorable DVD box sets for you to buy for your girlfriend. Entourage just began its fourth season this Sunday, and it is safe to say that I will be a little bit moody come the end of this week when I am done watching season 3 and have to way several months for the next on DVD.

No comments: